Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Captivated


     I am captivated. By the process, the experience, and the beautiful happening of birth. This past month I was privileged to attend my second birth as a photographer. I will never, ever tire of being one of the first to witness the arrival of a new life into the world. To document it with my camera is even better. I feel like I am being given a gift when I am able to attend a birth; to share in that experience with a family is such a blessing. In return, I feel like I am able to give at least a small portion of that gift back when I capture these moments and give them to the family, to have forever.
     It is more than just the experience that draws me. It is my favorite form of photography - documentary photography at its very best. When I am doing portraits, I struggle with the people aspect of photography. I love being around people, but being the photographer requires a whole different level of people skills. I am still continuing to learn how to direct people, and how to make them feel comfortable and natural and relaxed during photo shoots. That part of photography comes hard for me. It is still absolutely worthwhile, it just takes time and I still have such a long way to go. With birth photography, there is no need for me to direct, to instruct. I am part of the background, capturing each precious moment and each expression of struggle and of joy. I need only to slip into myself and focus on the task at hand, watching the world play out through the lens. Even though this was only my second birth so far, I am thoroughly captivated.
     That being said, I am still learning how to handle the lighting scenarios at births. I have so much more learning to do in the future. That is my disclaimer :)
     Let me share with you a glimpse of this extraordinary birth, and this stunning new baby girl.

















More photos to follow, hopefully soon. Fall is such a wonderful time for photos...  :)  God Bless!

   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment